Monday, May 4, 2015

Easy Oven Baked, Gluten Free Mac and Cheese

So there we were.  I was still recovering from the week.  Baby had just had one of those weeks, ya know?  Husband had let me sleep in a little bit and I woke up starving.  But I was too tired and lazy to go to the store.  Ordering in sounded terrible.  I don't eat fast food, and it sounded blech anyway.  What did I want?

Think, think, think, think.

I wanted chocolate.  AND some comfort food.


Think, think, think, think.

Hey, we have pasta.  Hey, we have mexican blend cheese.  I've got some almond milk left.  We have butter. Uh yup.  Homemade mac and cheese.  I've never made homemade mac and cheese in my life, but no reason why I shouldn't start now.


Finally dragged my hind end out of bed and into the kitchen.  I don't know what it is about cooking, but 99% of the time, it perks me up, and calms me down, puts me in a better frame of mind.  It's my zen.  With wine.


This Mac and Cheese turned out amazing.  My husband, who HATES homemade Mac and Cheese even said it was "pretty good".  Coming from him, this was the equivalent of "amazing and best thing ever eaten." It was gooey, cheesy, with a nice bite from some spice.  A yummy "bread crumb" topping of almond flour completed it.  The only thing I would recommend is to keep the pasta al dente, so when it bakes with the milk and cheese, it won't end up soggy.

Adjust the spices as you like.  We like almost everything spicy, but for others, tone it down as you please.

Enjoy!

Oven-Baked Macaroni and Cheese

1 box of gluten free pasta
3 cups of shredded cheese (I used Mexican Blend, but whatever floats your boat)
1/2 cup shredded Parmesean
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
2 Tbs gluten free flour
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 cup almond flour


  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Cook the pasta 'al dente', done but with a little bite to it. Drain pasta.
  • Mix together the gluten free flour, salt, pepper, garlic and cayenne pepper. 
  • Lightly oil a baking dish with vegetable or coconut oil.  Place 1/2 the pasta in the dish, then sprinkle 1/2 the flour mixture, and then 1/2 of the shredded cheese and parmesean.  Repeat layering.
  • Cover with foil, and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
  • After 35 minutes, remove foil and sprinkle almond flour on top. Bake for another 5-7 minutes, until golden brown.  (DO NOT broil unless watching carefully.  you WILL end up with a burnt topping. Don't ask me how I know)
Let it cool for few minutes and then dig in and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment